Philippines to End Ban on X’s AI Chatbot Grok

Last week, X imposed limits on Grok’s image editing capabilities, with X’s Safety unit saying it was working to add additional safeguards.
Published: 1/21/2026, 4:00:40 PM EST
Philippines to End Ban on X’s AI Chatbot Grok
xAI and Grok logos, in a illustration photo on Feb. 16, 2025. (Dado Ruvic/Reuters)
The Philippines announced on Jan. 21 that it would lift its ban on Grok after xAI’s developers said they would modify the artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot for the local market.

The country’s Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center (CICC) said in a statement that xAI had pledged to modify the content generator specifically for the Philippines, “including the omission of image/content manipulation features that allowed for deepfake creation and the total exclusion of pornographic content, particularly child sexual abuse material.”

Elon Musk’s X announced on Jan. 14 that it would “geoblock the ability” of all X users “to generate images of real people in bikinis, underwear, and similar attire” in countries where it is illegal, following mounting criticism that the chatbot had been used to generate explicit images.

CICC said it will discuss with xAI the timeline for reinstating the chatbot in the country.

The agency’s undersecretary, Renato Paraiso, said that even after lifting the ban, “the CICC will still closely monitor the app to ensure they comply with the rules and regulations in our country.”

On Jan. 16, the Philippines followed fellow Southeast Asian countries Indonesia and Malaysia in banning Grok from their country, after the CICC said the AI content generator could create “sexually explicit materials” and “generate deepfakes of real individuals without their consent,” which the center said posed a risk to women and children.

Grok’s Image Editing Restricted

Last week, X imposed limits on Grok’s image editing capabilities, with X’s Safety unit saying it was working to add additional safeguards and remove illegal content, and taking action with local law enforcement where necessary.
“We remain committed to making X a safe platform for everyone and continue to have zero tolerance for any forms of child sexual exploitation, non-consensual nudity, and unwanted sexual content,” X said in the statement.
SpaceX, X, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk at the Vivatech technology startups and innovation fair at the Porte de Versailles exhibition center in Paris on June 16, 2023. (Right) The X logo, pictured on a screen in Paris on July 24, 2023. (Alain Jocard/AFP via Getty Images)
SpaceX, X, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk at the Vivatech technology startups and innovation fair at the Porte de Versailles exhibition center in Paris on June 16, 2023. (Right) The X logo, pictured on a screen in Paris on July 24, 2023. Alain Jocard/AFP via Getty Images
The move came after several countries around the world took or threatened to take some form of action against X and Musk’s AI development company, xAI.
Last week, Malaysia announced it would take legal action against X, days after the country announced it would block access to Grok. Indonesia likewise suspended access to the content generator.
In the UK, the country’s communications regulator on Jan. 12 said it had opened an investigation into X, saying that it broke British law by failing to comply with duties to protect people from illegal content.
Japan on Jan. 16 asked X to take steps to prevent the use of the chatbot to generate sexualized images.

Economic Security Minister Kimi Onoda, also Japan’s minister for AI strategy, said that if the situation does not improve, “We plan to promptly examine all possible options, including legal measures.”