Trump Criticizes Alleged Ukrainian Attempt to Strike Putin’s Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the Russian government was lying about the strikes to excuse prolonging a war it sparked with its 2022 invasion.
Published: 12/29/2025, 10:11:52 PM EST
Trump Criticizes Alleged Ukrainian Attempt to Strike Putin’s Residence
Satellite imagery shows Vladimir Putin's residential complex in Roshchino, Novgorod Region, Russia, on Aug. 31, 2023. (2025 Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)

President Donald Trump on Dec. 29 said Russian President Vladimir Putin told him Monday morning that Ukraine attempted to strike his residence in the Russian city of Novgorod.

"I don't like it. It's not good," Trump told reporters after welcoming Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to his Mar-a-Lago residence and resort in Palm Beach, Florida, on Monday.

"President Putin told me about it early in the morning. He said he was attacked. It's no good."

Trump said it's a "delicate period of time" right now as the United States continues negotiations to end the war.

"It's one thing to be offensive because they're offensive. It's another thing to attack his house," he added. "It's not the right time to do any of that, and can't do it."

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov claimed on the state-run news agency TASS early Monday that Ukrainian forces attempted to strike Putin's residence using 91 drones.

Lavrov said Russia downed all the drones, accused Ukraine of "state terrorism," and added that Russian forces had already selected Ukrainian targets for retaliatory strikes.

The announcement of the alleged attack comes amid negotiations to end Russia's war in Ukraine. While Russia will remain in talks to seek a peace deal, Moscow's stance is now under review, Lavrov said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy accused Lavrov of lying to justify prolonging a war that Putin started when he ordered an invasion of Ukraine in early 2022.

"Russia is at it again, using dangerous statements to undermine all achievements of our shared diplomatic efforts with President Trump's team," Zelenskyy wrote on social media Monday morning.

"This alleged 'residence strike' story is a complete fabrication intended to justify additional attacks against Ukraine, including Kyiv, as well as Russia’s own refusal to take necessary steps to end the war. Typical Russian lies.

"Furthermore, the Russians have already targeted Kyiv in the past, including the Cabinet of Ministers building."

Zelenskyy added that Ukraine will not take steps that "undermine diplomacy."

"To the contrary, Russia always takes such steps," he said.

The day prior, Zelenskyy met with Trump at Mar-a-Lago to discuss a potential plan to end the war.

“We’re getting a lot closer, maybe very close” to an agreement, Trump said, expressing optimism over the progress made.

European leaders have criticized a previously released draft version of Trump's 20-point plan to end the war, which they argued leaned more toward Moscow's favor.

Russia has called for Ukraine to cede territories lost following the 2022 invasion, as well as the Donbas region that Moscow has increasingly occupied since 2014.

Ukraine has pushed back against calls to cede any territories to Russia.

Trump said there were several "very thorny, very tough issues" to hammer out and indicated land disputes were one example.

“The land you’re talking about, some of that land has been taken,“ Trump said. “Some of that land is maybe up for grabs, but it may be taken over the next period of a number of months.”

Zelenskyy said that he and Trump have not reached an agreement on the future of the Donbas region, of which roughly 90 percent is within Russia's control.

Jack Phillips, Jacki Thrapp, Emel Akan, and Joseph Lord contributed to this report.