Trump Needs Congressional Approval for Iran Strikes, Jeffries Says

Democratic House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries urges restraint as the White House signaled yesterday a decision could come within two weeks.
Published: 6/20/2025, 5:35:42 PM EDT
Trump Needs Congressional Approval for Iran Strikes, Jeffries Says
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) speaks during a press conference on Capitol Hill in Washington on May 13, 2025. (Madalina Vasiliu/The Epoch Times)

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) warned President Donald Trump on Friday not to take offensive military action against Iran without explicit authorization from Congress, amid escalating discussion of U.S. involvement in the Middle East.

“The authority to declare war belongs solely to the United States Congress,” Jeffries said in the June 20 statement. “President Trump and his administration must refrain from engaging in offensive military action in Iran without the explicit approval of the House of Representatives and the Senate.”

Jeffries added that “Iran is a sworn enemy of the United States and can never be permitted to become a nuclear-capable power,” while also reaffirming that “Israel has a right to defend itself against escalating Iranian aggression and our commitment to Israel’s security remains ironclad.”

His comments come one day after the White House confirmed that the president would decide within two weeks whether to initiate military action in Iran.

“Based on the fact that there’s a substantial chance of negotiations that may or may not take place with Iran in the near future, I will make my decision whether or not to go within the next two weeks,” press secretary Karoline Leavitt said on July 19, quoting the president.

Trump has been holding meetings in the Situation Room on what to do about Iran, according to Leavitt. She said the president remains focused on preventing Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, and not on regime change.

“Let’s be very clear: Iran has all that it needs to achieve a nuclear weapon,” Leavitt said. “All they need is a decision from the supreme leader to do that, and it would take a couple of weeks.”

Earlier on Friday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said there would be no negotiations until Israel ends its airstrikes.

“It is the Americans who are seeking negotiations; they have sent messages multiple times, including very serious ones. But we have explicitly told them that as long as the aggression and attacks continue, there is simply no room for talk of dialogue or diplomacy,” Araghchi said.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian also said in a post on X that the only way to end what he called an “imposed war” was the “unconditional stop” of Israeli attacks.
Meanwhile, Israel has continued its strikes on Iranian targets, including a state-run television building in Tehran, missile production sites, and military facilities. Iran has retaliated, launching missiles into Israeli cities and striking a hospital in Be’er Sheva, injuring dozens.

Jeffries called for a diplomatic approach rather than military escalation.

“Aggressive diplomacy resulting in a longer and stronger agreement that permanently halts Iran’s nuclear aspirations is the most appropriate course of action at this time,” he said.

His statement echoed a warning earlier this week from Senate Democrats, who demanded the president explain the legal basis, scope, and objectives of any potential strike. They also emphasized the need for a detailed evacuation plan for Americans in the region.

While Trump has expressed support for Israel’s campaign, he has also indicated that military involvement by the United States is not inevitable.

“Nobody knows what I’m going to do,” he told reporters earlier this week.
Some Trump allies have urged caution. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) does not support intervention, while others, such as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), have supported taking aggressive action against Iran.

Congressional efforts to assert oversight have picked up steam. Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) have introduced resolutions reaffirming that the president must seek congressional approval before any new military engagement.

Jack Phillips, Katabella Roberts, and Jackson Richman contributed to this report.