Warwick police officers Brian Holleran and Anthony D’Abrosca were responding to another call in Kohl’s parking lot on May 10 when they heard a woman calling for help.
Police say the two officers rushed into the store and saw that the 16-month-old baby was choking.
“A woman had come out of Kohl’s yelling, screaming, ‘A baby is choking, she can’t breathe, we need help,'” Holleran told WPRI during an interview.
“Officer Holleran observed that the infant’s lips were light blue and did not observe any signs of breathing,” authorities reported.
Holleran told WJAR that he gave the female infant a couple blows to the back and performed CPR.
“She was choking so I put her on the back side, gave her a couple blows to the back side, and then flipped her back over as in the training,” said Holleran, according to WJAR.
“I’m a true believer that in my life God puts me where I’m supposed to be. That’s why I’m here in Warwick and that’s why I was there at Kohl’s that day,” said Warwick Police Officer Holleran who saved a baby’s life after she stopped breathing Friday night.https://t.co/99sWvz37gz
— NBC 10 WJAR (@NBC10) May 12, 2019
After the officer’s actions, the baby was able to breathe again.
According to a statement on Facebook, the officers monitored the baby at the scene until the Warwick Fire Department arrived and transported her to Hasbro Children’s Hospital.
She is expected to make a full recovery.
The baby’s foster mother, Elaine Martinez, told WJAR she thanked God the officers were there at that moment.
Also tonight— the foster mom of the 16 month-old who Warwick police officers performed CPR on is speaking out, praising the officers for their life-saving efforts. Don’t miss it @ 11. pic.twitter.com/5yD4w51PQt
— Sam Read (@NBC10_Sam) May 12, 2019
“I’m a true believer that in my life God puts me where I’m supposed to be. That’s why I’m here in Warwick and that’s why I was there at Kohl’s that day,” said Holleran.
Choking in the United States
According to the National Safety Council, choking is the fourth leading cause of unintentional injury death in the United States.
It does not only occur with infants. More than half of the people that died from choking in 2015 were over the age of 74.
Their website provides instructions on how to properly perform the Heimlich Maneuver.
NTD News staff and The Associated Press contributed to this article.